Therapy News & Information
DBT Parenting Skills Group–currently enrolling new members for our next group in July! 12-week curriculum!
We are thrilled to be partnering with Dr. Sara Chun, an adult-focused psychiatrist, who runs an independent private practice and consults closely with BPS clinicians for comprehensive patient care.
We will be offering new groups, workshops and seminars this summer and fall, so keep an eye out for our flyers!
Fresh faces, new hires!
We are excited to introduce several new faces that will be joining BPS this summer.
Kristin Ortiz, LMSW comes to us intensively trained in DBT from Columbia University’s School of Social Work. She specializes in adolescents and adults
Emily Nichols, Ph.D., received her School Psychology degree from Saint John’s University and specializes in children and adolescents. Most recently, she completed her internship at The School at Columbia. Prior to that she completed an externship at The Child Mind Institute in their Anxiety Disorders Center, where she received training in ERP, PCIT, PMT.
Nikita Patel, Psy.D. received her School-Clinical Child Psychology degree from The Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology at Yeshiva University. She completed her internship at Mt. Sinai’s Adolescent Health Center and specializes in DBT, CBT, Trauma-focused CBT and Transgender Nonconforming mental health.
Jessica Passman, Psy.D., received her Psy.D. in School Psychology from Rutgers University. She completed several externships at NYU Child Study Center and Cognitive Behavioral Consultants and just completed her internship at Cognitive Behavioral Consultants, as well, where she is providing CBT, PCIT and DBT.
News & Media
Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions, Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behavior,
By Pat Harvey, LCSW-C
The Uncontrollable Child,
By Matis Miller, LSCW
The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child,
By Alan Kazdin, Ph.D.
How to Love,
By Thich Nhat Hanh
By Dan Harris
The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life,
By Susan M. Orsillo, Ph.D., & Lizabeth Roemer, Ph.D.
The Mindfulness Solution for Intense Emotions,
By Cedar Koons, LCSW
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder,
By Shari Y. Manning, Ph.D.
Freedom from Self-Harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments.
By Kim L. Gratz, Ph.D., & Alexandra Chapman, Ph.D.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma,
By Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
The High Conflict Couple: A DBT Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation.
By Alan E. Fruzzetti, Ph.D.
Publications & Book Reviews
Behavioral Psych Studio is proud to highlight the wonderful contributions that several of our BPS clinicians make towards the growing body of psychology research on a variety of clinically relevant topics.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Harris, Y., DeSomma, K., & Cabassa, L.J. (2021). Strategies and Lessons Learned for Supporting and Supervising Peer Specialists. Psychiatric Services
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Gurdak, K., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). Participant Experiences With a Peer-Led Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People With Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services, appi-ps.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Svehaug, K., Alvi, T., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). “We Die 25 Years Sooner:” Addressing Physical Health Among Persons with Serious Mental Illness in Supportive Housing. Community mental health journal, 1-13.
- Bochicchio. L., Stefancic, A., McTavish, C., Tuda, D., & Cabassa., L.J. “Being There” vs “Being Direct:” Perspectives of Persons with Serious Mental Illness on Receiving Support with Physical Health from Peer and Non-Peer Providers”. (2020) Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research (In Press)
- Cabassa, L. J., Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Weatherly, C. & Lengnick-Hall (2020). Organization leaders’ decisions to sustain a peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Translational Behavioral Medicine.(In Press)
- Cabassa. L. J., Stefancic, A., Lewis-Fernández, R., Luchsinger, J., Weinstein, L., Guo, S., Palinkas,
- L., Bochicchio, L., Wang, X., O’Hara, K., Blady, M., Simiriglia, C., & McCrudy, M. (2020). Main outcomes of the peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Psychiatric Services. (In Press)
- Bochicchio, L., Reeder, K., Ivanoff, A., Pope, H., & Stefancic, A. (2020). Psychotherapeutic interventions for LGBTQ+ youth: a systematic review. Journal of LGBT youth, 1-28.
- Stefancic, A., House, S., Bochicchio, L., Harney-Delehanty, B., Osterweil, S., & Cabassa, L. (2019). “What We Have in Common”: A Qualitative Analysis of Shared Experience in Peer-Delivered Services. Community mental health journal, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00391-y
- Bochicchio, L., Stefancic, A., Gurdak, K., Swarbrick, M., & Cabassa, L. J. (2019). “We’re All in this Together”: Peer-specialist Contributions to a Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People with Serious Mental Illness. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 46(3), 298-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-018-0914-6
- Rescorla., L., Bochicchio, L., Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., et al., (2014). Parent Teacher Agreement on Children’s Problems in 21 Societies. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 43(4), 627-642. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2014.900719
- Bochicchio, L. (2019). Kate Norman, Socialising transgender: Support in transition. Journal of Social Work. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017319837422
- Bochicchio, L. A. (2019). Book Review: Out of the closet, into the archives: Researching sexual histories. Affilia, 34(3), 400–401. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918778076
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Book Review: LGBTQ Social Movements. Affilia. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918813032
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Women’s issues for a new generation: A social work perspective Gail Ukockis. Journal of Social Work, 18(4), 495–496. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017317747460
- Bochicchio, L. (2017). Book Review: The ways women age: Using and refusing cosmetic intervention. Affilia, 32(4), 579–580. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109917721138