Therapy News & Information
Currently enrolling for our Adult DBT, Multi-family DBT and Graduate DBT Skills groups!
Currently enrolling (every Tuesday) for our 8-week, adult Intensive Outpatient Program.
House on Fire
Our podcast, House on Fire, is one-year-old!
Find us on Instagram @houseonfirepod or @behavioralpsychstudio
Listen to us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Buzzsprout.
Fresh faces, new hires!
We are excited to introduce several new faces that have joined BPS recently.
Ethan Sapienza, LMSW (NY, NJ & CA)
Ethan completed his master’s degree in social work from Columbia University, where he was selected to be a part of the DBT Intensive Training Program and Lab, under the supervision of Dr. André Ivanoff. In addition to DBT and CBT, he specializes in trauma and is trained in DBT-PTSD as well as EMDR.
Jessica Garcia, LMSW (NY)
Jessica received her master’s degree in social work at Columbia University where she participated in a specialized training program in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). She also specializes in trauma-focused therapy for children and adolescents as well as DBT-C for children under 12 years-old.
Elisa Pompeo, (NY & NJ)
Elisa received her master’s degree in social work at Columbia University. Elisa participated in the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Intensive Training Program, under the supervision of Dr. André Ivanoff, and completed her DBT Intensive Training through Behavioral Tech, LLC. In addition, she has completed trainings for DBT for Eating Disorders and DBT-PE.
News & Media
Dr. Stefanie Sugar, founder and director of Behavioral Psych Studio is quoted extensively for this article in Time magazine, “The Coronavirus Pandemic May Be Causing an Anxiety Pandemic”.
Dr. Stefanie Sugar, founder and director of Behavioral Psych Studio is quoted extensively for this article in The New York Times, “Going Outside This Weekend? Don’t Freak Out”.
Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions, Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behavior,
By Pat Harvey, LCSW-C
The Uncontrollable Child,
By Matis Miller, LSCW
The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child,
By Alan Kazdin, Ph.D.
How to Love,
By Thich Nhat Hanh
By Dan Harris
The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life,
By Susan M. Orsillo, Ph.D., & Lizabeth Roemer, Ph.D.
The Mindfulness Solution for Intense Emotions,
By Cedar Koons, LCSW
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder,
By Shari Y. Manning, Ph.D.
Freedom from Self-Harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments.
By Kim L. Gratz, Ph.D., & Alexandra Chapman, Ph.D.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma,
By Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
The High Conflict Couple: A DBT Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation.
By Alan E. Fruzzetti, Ph.D.
Publications & Book Reviews
Behavioral Psych Studio is proud to highlight the wonderful contributions that several of our BPS clinicians make towards the growing body of psychology research on a variety of clinically relevant topics.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Harris, Y., DeSomma, K., & Cabassa, L.J. (2021). Strategies and Lessons Learned for Supporting and Supervising Peer Specialists. Psychiatric Services
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Gurdak, K., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). Participant Experiences With a Peer-Led Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People With Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services, appi-ps.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Svehaug, K., Alvi, T., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). “We Die 25 Years Sooner:” Addressing Physical Health Among Persons with Serious Mental Illness in Supportive Housing. Community mental health journal, 1-13.
- Bochicchio. L., Stefancic, A., McTavish, C., Tuda, D., & Cabassa., L.J. “Being There” vs “Being Direct:” Perspectives of Persons with Serious Mental Illness on Receiving Support with Physical Health from Peer and Non-Peer Providers”. (2020) Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research (In Press)
- Cabassa, L. J., Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Weatherly, C. & Lengnick-Hall (2020). Organization leaders’ decisions to sustain a peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Translational Behavioral Medicine.(In Press)
- Cabassa. L. J., Stefancic, A., Lewis-Fernández, R., Luchsinger, J., Weinstein, L., Guo, S., Palinkas,
- L., Bochicchio, L., Wang, X., O’Hara, K., Blady, M., Simiriglia, C., & McCrudy, M. (2020). Main outcomes of the peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Psychiatric Services. (In Press)
- Bochicchio, L., Reeder, K., Ivanoff, A., Pope, H., & Stefancic, A. (2020). Psychotherapeutic interventions for LGBTQ+ youth: a systematic review. Journal of LGBT youth, 1-28.
- Stefancic, A., House, S., Bochicchio, L., Harney-Delehanty, B., Osterweil, S., & Cabassa, L. (2019). “What We Have in Common”: A Qualitative Analysis of Shared Experience in Peer-Delivered Services. Community mental health journal, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00391-y
- Bochicchio, L., Stefancic, A., Gurdak, K., Swarbrick, M., & Cabassa, L. J. (2019). “We’re All in this Together”: Peer-specialist Contributions to a Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People with Serious Mental Illness. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 46(3), 298-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-018-0914-6
- Rescorla., L., Bochicchio, L., Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., et al., (2014). Parent Teacher Agreement on Children’s Problems in 21 Societies. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 43(4), 627-642. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2014.900719
- Bochicchio, L. (2019). Kate Norman, Socialising transgender: Support in transition. Journal of Social Work. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017319837422
- Bochicchio, L. A. (2019). Book Review: Out of the closet, into the archives: Researching sexual histories. Affilia, 34(3), 400–401. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918778076
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Book Review: LGBTQ Social Movements. Affilia. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918813032
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Women’s issues for a new generation: A social work perspective Gail Ukockis. Journal of Social Work, 18(4), 495–496. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017317747460
- Bochicchio, L. (2017). Book Review: The ways women age: Using and refusing cosmetic intervention. Affilia, 32(4), 579–580. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109917721138