Therapy News & Information
Adolescent AFFIRM Group–currently enrolling new members for our next group. Call to find out more info!
Adolescent Graduate DBT Group!
We are thrilled to be partnering with Dr. Sara Chun, an adult-focused psychiatrist, who runs an independent private practice and consults closely with BPS clinicians for comprehensive patient care.
New Podcast: House on Fire
BPS is proud to announce the launch of a DBT Podcast. HoF will cover a variety of DBT skills and topics each month.
Find us on Instagram @houseonfirepod or @behavioralpsychstudio
Listen to us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Buzzsprout.
Fresh faces, new hires!
We are excited to introduce several new faces that have joined BPS recently.
Ryan Herman, LMHC-LP is a transgender and nonbinary staff clinician. They come to us from Columbia University and are passionate about supporting the well-being of LGBTQ+ people and providing gender-affirming care. They are also being intensively trained in DBT and CBT.
Lucy Swank, LCSW., received her degree from Columbia’s School of Social Work. She comes to us from a DBT practice in Beverly Hills, CA and is an DBT-LBC clinician. She specializes in DBT for adolescents, adults and couples and is also trained in CBT for trauma, using EMDR.
Avery Carmichael, LMSW., received her degree from Columbia’s School of Social Work. She completed her internship at Behavioral Psych Studio and specializes in DBT, CBT, Trauma-focused CBT with adolescents and adults.
Keith Dorgan LMSW., received his degree from Hunter College School of Social Work. His experience includes working with adolescents in East Harlem, veterans at the Veterans Administration Medical Center, as well as with adults. He specializes in CBT for Anxiety and Mood Disorders, and is being intensively trained in DBT as well.
News & Media
Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions, Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behavior,
By Pat Harvey, LCSW-C
The Uncontrollable Child,
By Matis Miller, LSCW
The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child,
By Alan Kazdin, Ph.D.
How to Love,
By Thich Nhat Hanh
By Dan Harris
The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life,
By Susan M. Orsillo, Ph.D., & Lizabeth Roemer, Ph.D.
The Mindfulness Solution for Intense Emotions,
By Cedar Koons, LCSW
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder,
By Shari Y. Manning, Ph.D.
Freedom from Self-Harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments.
By Kim L. Gratz, Ph.D., & Alexandra Chapman, Ph.D.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma,
By Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
The High Conflict Couple: A DBT Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation.
By Alan E. Fruzzetti, Ph.D.
Publications & Book Reviews
Behavioral Psych Studio is proud to highlight the wonderful contributions that several of our BPS clinicians make towards the growing body of psychology research on a variety of clinically relevant topics.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Harris, Y., DeSomma, K., & Cabassa, L.J. (2021). Strategies and Lessons Learned for Supporting and Supervising Peer Specialists. Psychiatric Services
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Gurdak, K., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). Participant Experiences With a Peer-Led Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People With Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services, appi-ps.
- Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Svehaug, K., Alvi, T., & Cabassa, L. J. (2021). “We Die 25 Years Sooner:” Addressing Physical Health Among Persons with Serious Mental Illness in Supportive Housing. Community mental health journal, 1-13.
- Bochicchio. L., Stefancic, A., McTavish, C., Tuda, D., & Cabassa., L.J. “Being There” vs “Being Direct:” Perspectives of Persons with Serious Mental Illness on Receiving Support with Physical Health from Peer and Non-Peer Providers”. (2020) Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research (In Press)
- Cabassa, L. J., Stefancic, A., Bochicchio, L., Tuda, D., Weatherly, C. & Lengnick-Hall (2020). Organization leaders’ decisions to sustain a peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Translational Behavioral Medicine.(In Press)
- Cabassa. L. J., Stefancic, A., Lewis-Fernández, R., Luchsinger, J., Weinstein, L., Guo, S., Palinkas,
- L., Bochicchio, L., Wang, X., O’Hara, K., Blady, M., Simiriglia, C., & McCrudy, M. (2020). Main outcomes of the peer-led healthy lifestyle intervention for people with serious mental illness in supportive housing. Psychiatric Services. (In Press)
- Bochicchio, L., Reeder, K., Ivanoff, A., Pope, H., & Stefancic, A. (2020). Psychotherapeutic interventions for LGBTQ+ youth: a systematic review. Journal of LGBT youth, 1-28.
- Stefancic, A., House, S., Bochicchio, L., Harney-Delehanty, B., Osterweil, S., & Cabassa, L. (2019). “What We Have in Common”: A Qualitative Analysis of Shared Experience in Peer-Delivered Services. Community mental health journal, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00391-y
- Bochicchio, L., Stefancic, A., Gurdak, K., Swarbrick, M., & Cabassa, L. J. (2019). “We’re All in this Together”: Peer-specialist Contributions to a Healthy Lifestyle Intervention for People with Serious Mental Illness. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 46(3), 298-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-018-0914-6
- Rescorla., L., Bochicchio, L., Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., et al., (2014). Parent Teacher Agreement on Children’s Problems in 21 Societies. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 43(4), 627-642. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2014.900719
- Bochicchio, L. (2019). Kate Norman, Socialising transgender: Support in transition. Journal of Social Work. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017319837422
- Bochicchio, L. A. (2019). Book Review: Out of the closet, into the archives: Researching sexual histories. Affilia, 34(3), 400–401. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918778076
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Book Review: LGBTQ Social Movements. Affilia. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109918813032
- Bochicchio, L. (2018). Women’s issues for a new generation: A social work perspective Gail Ukockis. Journal of Social Work, 18(4), 495–496. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017317747460
- Bochicchio, L. (2017). Book Review: The ways women age: Using and refusing cosmetic intervention. Affilia, 32(4), 579–580. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109917721138